Translate

Saturday, July 28, 2012

To Nikki


Dear Nikki, my dear Nikki, – but forgive
My overboldness thus to call you mine:
It is but wishfulness; it is a sign
Of heartfelt longing fed by deep desire,
A hope that will not die; – oh, let it live!
Let it spring upward, clearer, brighter, higher,
Till it become a joy that cannot leave,
And grow a flame in Love’s eternal fire, –
Soon we must part, and I must follow Duty,
Although I tread the way with weary feet;
Desire shall bow to Duty, aye! She must:
Let Honor weep, and turn away from Beauty,
I with her; oh, but when again we meet,
Desire shall spring forth and be doubly sweet!
– Nay, trebly: though she sleep she shall not die,
But rising up shall firmly clasp the just:
Thus Love and Duty wedded shall leap high
And kiss each other, sweet! Ah, by and by.

No comments:

You might also like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...