Translate

Saturday, July 28, 2012

Sorrowful John:A Ballad


Well met, well met, good gentleman,
Why haste you on your way?
Oh, I flee the scene of a bloody crime,
A crime done but today.
And why does your lancet drip with blood,
And why does it shine so red?
Oh, I have killed my truest friend,
And I have struck him dead.
And what has your true friend done to you,
That you treated him like this?
Oh, I heard it said that one like him
Had stol'n from my love a kiss.
And why do you mourn your false, false friend,
Who so ill-treated you?
Oh, I saw my love with one like him,
And I knew my friend was true.
And what did you give to your false, false love,
Who slighted you this way?
Oh, poison in her dainty cup
I gave to her today.
And why do you weep, good gentleman,
And why such a mournful look?
Oh, my true love met with her brother dear,
And a brother's kiss he took.
And why so pale, good gentleman,
And why do you reel and sway?
Oh, I have drunk of the same dainty cup,
And today is my last day.

No comments:

You might also like:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...